Wednesday, February 09, 2011

A Day Trip To Johor Bahru

Friday, 4th Feb, 2011 ~ Johor Bahru is a small town at the most Southern tip of West Malaysia which is link to Singapore by a short causeway. As my family & relatives cannot celebrate this Lunar New Year according to tradition due to my grandma passing away less than a year ago, we had not much to do during this festival. So, I went for a short trip across to Johor Bahru(JB, as the locals called it).
Set out at noon. It was cold & chilly. Upon reaching JB, I was seriously overdressed! Dammit, it was freaking hot over there!

Overdressed @Johor Bahru


I had being told that JB looks like Singapore in the 60s' or early 70s' & progress is slow over there. It's being years last I'd been to JB, over 8 years ago. Except for the new, much bigger immigration/custom building which made me walked a longer distance to reach the town center, nothing much has changed.

Street of JB


More then 10 years ago, City Square is the newest mall in JB town center & still is the newest mall today.

City Square Shopping Mall


And what is this?!? The booth(in my pic below) caught me by surprise till I remembered about what it might be like in the '60s & '70s. You needs to pay for cellphone ringtones?!? You mean they dunno about the Internet, computers or MP3? C'mon...

Booth selling cellphone ringtones


Stayed in the mall coz it was damn hot outside. Nothing to do as I'm not the shopping type or the food lover.

Hamster @City Square

JB CamHogger xD


Dinner at JB, baked rice with watery mushroom soup.

Dine @Vivo Cafe


Quite a boring trip. A chocolate ice-cream save the day. Not everything is lost as long as there is chocolate! LOL! =P

Teeth-staining Chocolate Ice-cream! xD

2 Comments:

At Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:35:00 AM, Anonymous Keith said...

That is one overdressed Hamster alright. I almost didn't recognize you with all those clothes on *hee hee*! Looking cute in the doorway of that giant telephone box though. Or maybe it's actually a normal-sized phonebox and just looks big because of your hamstery dimensions?

 
At Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:45:00 PM, Anonymous Ed said...

When I was in JB in the mid 90-ies, it was really a sleepy town. Went there by train and in order to get from the railwaystation to the town proper you had to walk through people's backyards, clearing your way through their laundry.

JB was to the east of the railway station and across the railway station (so at the west side) there was still an old kampong.

I am sure that is all gone now

 

Post a Comment

<< Home