Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tweeeeet! Tweeeeet! Tweeeeet!

Since Chinese New Year, have been woken up every morning by a monogamous pair of Olive-backed Sunbirds. They were collecting materials for their nest. Kept plucking & tearing to shreds red strings tied to some plants. Caught glimpses of them always going back to a giant tree opposite my block, but can't see the nest. I really wanna see their work. Their nest must be the most prosperous among all with so much redness.

Dance of the Sunbirds

My wish came partly true last weekend. While walking through a small downtown lane late in the afternoon, I heard some chirping above me. Looked up & was pleasantly surprised to see a nest with two nestling sticking their heads out calling hungrily. Their nest was just 3 meters up, suspended on a branch near to a window of a double story shophouse.

Chirping nestling

Woot! Never expect to see a Sunbird nest in busy town center! Quickly grabbed my camera & took some pics. Then suddenly, mommy bird appeared and in my sexcitement, I stupidly missed the shot! Completely missed it! Fumbling bloody clumsy bobo-shooter inept photographer, I cursed myself! In frustration, I waited for it to come back. Waiting, praying & hoping, motionlessly in the hot humid small back lane. My patient was rewarded in half an hour when mommy bird returned again. This time, I am prepared...

Return of the Female Sunbird

Feed me! Me first! Me, me, me!

There're 2 birds, male & female, coming back regularly, feeding those hungry babies. Very cautiously at first, hoping around on the rooftop & tree branches, flying in circle checking the surrounding & me. They got bolder with each return as I proved to be harmless. I got such a thrill watching them late into the afternoon. Blessed them with good luck, me godmother of 2 cute baby Sunbirds. Heeheehee...

Papa Sunbird also took a hand in feeding

So happy & feeling hungry after watching the feeding. Had a nice dinner of delicious chicken kebab roll at a small cafe called Sultan Kebab run by handsome Turkish guys.

Delicious Turkish Delight

Three Handsome Turkeys & Me =P

1 Comments:

At Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice photos!
-lbs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home